Fleurieu Peninsula Camping

The Fleurieu Peninsula was named by French explorer Nicolas Baudin in 1802, as he mapped the coast of what is now South Australia. He named the peninsula after another French explorer, Charles Pierre Claret de Fleurieu.

The west coast of the peninsula stretches from McLaren Vale down to Cape Jervis while the east coast runs from Cape Jervis up to Goolwa and includes the northern shores of Lake Alexandrina, the Langhorne Creek area and Strathalbyn. Hindmarsh Island at the mouth of the Murray is also included in the region.
Category
Sorting
The peninsula is a fertile agricultural area, from the rich river loams to the sandy hills that gently roll across the green landscape and encompassing vineyards, olive groves, almond orchards, fruit and vegetable farms, sheep and cattle properties and many other forms of primary production.

The peninsula is also a happy hunting ground for tourists, with its surf beaches that are popular with Adelaide residents, its excellent fishing grounds both in the Murray River, the lakes and out into the Southern Ocean. It is also a haven for wildlife, particularly birds, with its wetland breeding grounds around the shores of the lakes.

There are some game reserves which attract both naturalists and hunters in season. With the advent of more natural flows being provided for in the Murray River, some areas which were in danger of becoming toxic swamps are now recovering to a healthier state and the birdlife is returning.

Cape Jervis at the tip of the peninsula is the embarkation point for the Kangaroo Island Ferry.

Hindmarsh Island near Goolwa is at the mouth of the Murray River and is a popular destination for both fishers and birdwatchers.
Tweet
Share